CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER AND WORDPRESS DESIGNS, BANNERS, BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday 4 April 2011

I like to Party...Blog Party, that is!!

Well, HELLO, Bloggers!  This is my first blog party and I am super excited!  My name is Nancy and I am going to be 36 years old this year. I am married to a fantastic man named Kirk and we have two wonderful boys named Isaac and Gavin.  I am currently on long-term disability from a busy retail manager job.  I’ve had an interesting few years, to say the least, and because of it, I’ve been ‘forced’ to take some time off work. I don’t wanna bore you with the long details. Let’s just say I’ve been to about 12 funerals in 2.5 years and the last one sent me far over the edge with flying colours. I’ve suffered from major depressive disorder for the better part of a decade.  I’d like to say I have a great handle on my disorder, but sometimes it has a greater handle on me than I’d like to admit.
I’m not always the awesome parent I’d like to be.  But when I’m awesome, I’m awesome. My two boys are fantastic. I sometimes think they are little devils, but I get compliments about them all the time. I’m a little biased, of course, but I think they’re pretty wicked!  They are complete opposites from each other. I often marvel that they came from the same womb! 

Isaac is my first born. He was a strong baby and would eat anything. Now he’s big for his age but won’t eat anything! I’ve been punished with a picky eater!  Isaac is 5 now and in junior kindergarten. He  really loves school. It wasn’t always that way though. In the beginning he hated it and would cry almost every day. I didn’t know what to do. This was gonna be one of those parenting moments where I was sure I was gonna fail miserably!! Then my therapist (God bless her!) suggested I approach the subject differently with Isaac. Instead of saying, “school is fun”, I started saying “school is for learning and if we have to work at it”. That attitude worked charms with Isaac was and it worked almost instantly.   He now looks forward to school (almost) every day and his teacher is thrilled with the change.
Gavin was my preemie, born almost 5 weeks early. He stayed at CHEO for a month and it was probably the hardest 27 days of my life. He came home though, safe and sound. He was a frail baby, never wanted to sleep alone, very fussy eater. Nowadays, he’ll try anything once and he will eat pretty much anything!  Gavin is still a wee guy at 3, but he has no fear!  He’s had to put up with a big brother his entire life so he’s tough as nails.  Although Gavin is tough around his big brother, there are times when he isn’t at his best. When it comes to daycare, he can be so miserable.  Some days he would cry and cry and cry. Here’s another one of those parenting moments where I was pretty sure I was gonna fail with monumentous certainty.  One day, Gavin was particularly upset and was screaming that he didn’t want to go.  When I asked him why he was so upset he informed me that the daycare lady was mean to him. As a parent, that is of course upsetting. When I pressed him he more about why he said that, he told me that she puts him in a time out and he doesn’t like it. Whew! And here I thought I had something serious to worry about.  After a few minutes of thought and a few more tears from Gavin, I had an epiphany. I said, “You know, Gavin. If you listened to Salima and always do what she says is right, you wouldn’t have to go to the time out so often.” He stopped crying almost instantly. We had a long chat after that about being a good boy and listening to the adults around him. I explained to him that when he goes off to school (in September, I can’t believe it), he's gonna have to listen to his teachers.
One thing my boys have in common is they are fiends for movies.  They go thru phases where they will watch the same movie over and over and over.  Some movies last longer than others.  Right now Gavin is obsesses with IronMan2. I can safely say I have seen the movie 100 times by now and I am going a little crazy. I’d accidentily ‘lose’ the movie but I think he would just lose his mind if he couldn’t watch it at least once a day. 

Isaac is a bit better when it comes to his movies.  He likes to vary it a little bit. Right now we’re watching Tangled, but he’ll move on pretty quickly. He was like Gavin when he was 3 though, and because of him I’ve seen Cars more times than I can count!
We live in Canada’s capital, Ottawa, and are very proud of this fact!  I love to travel around this great city and take tons of pictures of what I see. I am a shutter bug big time when it comes to my hometown. I have blogged about a few times already and I always include lots of pictures. 
I started my blogging because I wanted let people into my struggle with mental illness.  It isn’t always super-fun, that’s for sure, and I find writing about it very helpful.  I also want others to know that they are not alone!  Living with depression can sometimes make you feel very isolated and I hate that others go thru this alone.  I want to send them all a huge (((HUG))).

Well, I think that's all I got for this bash!! Hope you found that fun...I swear I'm usually funnier! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment