CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER AND WORDPRESS DESIGNS, BANNERS, BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday 31 March 2011

Nancy’s Quick Book Reviews vol.1

Two thousand and eleven has brought on an interesting challenge and resolution.  The first book I read of this year was The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. 

 It was a suggestion from my beautiful sister in law, Caitie.  Caitie could be a motivational speaker she is so awesome. She is great at saying what needs to be said and yet making you feel good about yourself. When she suggested this book, I went out that week and bought it right away because Cait is wise beyond her years!  The Happiness Project is a great book if you want to make a few changes in your life to perk it up a bit. It’s not life altering changes like in the story “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert.

In Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth gets divorced and travels the world to find happiness. That's a lot of changes to make just to find some happiness.  In The Happiness Project, Gretchen is a happily married woman with two children who has decided that it couldn’t hurt to have a little bit more happiness in her life. So she researches many different theories on happiness and tries to incorporate them into her life. I thought the book was brilliant and have utilized some of her “resolutions” in my own life.
 One of my 'resolutions' was to read a book a month for the whole year. This resolution has been pretty easy so far, as I am not working and often find myself with time on my hands. It also doesn’t help that I am in a doctors’ office every single week, sometimes several times a week, and I suffer from OCD. This means I am chronically early for absolutely everything and often find myself waiting in the waiting room with lots and lots of time on my hands! So I read A LOT!! 
In the Happiness Project, Gretchen makes being happier seem easier by breaking down life into small, manageable tasks that, if done, will make you feel happier. Even if it’s only a little bit, trust me when I say an organized closet does actually make you feel better. Another resolution she had that I find helpful is to change the way I view chores. Instead of thinking, “ugh, I hate laundry and I really loathe the idea of doing these 18 loads of kids laundry” I, instead, think to myself, “won’t it be nice when this laundry is done?” I will feel so much better when this chore is complete”. I know that sounds completely hoaky but it actually works for me!! Especially when it comes to the laundry which is my most hated chore! I’d rather clean the toilet with a toothbrush!
Blogging was another task that was on my nagging-to-do-list. When the opportunity arose (thanks, Stacey!), I grabbed the bull by the horns and got started. I got this resolution from The Happiness Project, as well; DO IT NOW!!! I had been putting of learning to blog because I was afraid it was too complicated. Sometimes, you just need a push to get started, however, and here I am!
Now that I am blogging, and reading a book every  three weeks (getting a bit ahead of myself), I thought I would come in here and let you know what I am reading. You can have a look and see if maybe you’d like to read along as well!
So get ready to do some reading!! And by that I mean reading my BLOG about reading books...LOL! Next post will be about the book "Wishful Drinking" by Carrie Fisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment